The school certifying official in the Office of the Registrar certifies your enrollment status to the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs (VA). VA determines your eligibility to receive educational assistance, issues benefits and disburses payments. Before the school certifying official can certify your enrollment, you must submit an application for education benefits to Veteran's Affairs and:
- Be admitted to ENMU
- Be enrolled in a degree-seeking program approved for VA educational benefits
- Be registered for the semester for which you are requesting benefits
- Provide a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA and the Request for VA Enrollment Certification (opens in new window)
ENMU School Certifying Official Responsibilities
- Notify VA of:
- Your degree program
- The number of hours you are taking which apply toward your degree
- The beginning and ending dates for each class
- Tuition and mandatory fees as necessary
- Keep a record of your educational benefits paperwork processed at ENMU according to record retention policies
- Advise you about VA policies and procedures regarding your benefit
Contact Your VA Certifying Official
- After you register for classes for the semester for which you would like to be certified
- When you change your address or phone number
- When you change your degree program, major or catalog
- When you add or drop classes, or withdraw from ENMU
- If you take classes at another institution while pursuing a degree at ENMU, and you want those classes certified with VA
How to Contact Veteran's Affairs
Online: Veteran's Affairs Website Form (opens in new window)
Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office
P.O. Box 8888
Muskogee, Oklahoma 74402-8888
When to Contact VA
- If you are using MGIB or REAP, remember to verify your attendance (opens in new window) with VA!
- Eligibility. You can check to see if you are eligible for VA benefits.
- Entitlement. Direct questions regarding remaining entitlement status to VA.
- Disbursement of Checks. If you have questions regarding any facet of your payment status, contact VA.
- Notification of Improper Payment. If you think the amount of a VA payment is wrong, contact VA before using funds from the payment. If you cash a check for the wrong amount, you will be liable for repayment of any resulting overpayment.
- Direct Deposit. Contact VA to change the direct deposit status of your educational benefits.
- Veterans' services and information
- Financial aid
- Come visit
- Housing and dining
- Academics – majors and minors
- Request information
- Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE)
- Veteran's Affairs website
For More Information
VA Certifying Official
ENMU Station 5
1500 S Ave K
Portales, NM 88130
Location: Administration Building (AD), Room 105