Alternative licensure provides another route to New Mexico teaching licensure for you if you have completed a non-teaching bachelor's or master's degree and who meet certain other requirements.

ENMU alternative licensure programs provide rigorous and substantial preparation for beginning teachers and address relevant elementary, secondary and special education entry level competencies as approved by the New Mexico Public Education Department (NMPED). Additionally, these programs adhere to TREC, the conceptual framework for educator preparation programs ENMU.

Alternate licensure graduate certificates are offered in the following:

Alternate Licensure with a Master’s Degree

ENMU also gives you the option to pursue both a certificate for alternative licensure and your education master’s degree concurrently. You can even apply alternative licensure hours you’ve taken at ENMU toward your master’s degree if you completed those hours within the last six years and they apply to the degree you are seeking.

For More Information

When entering into any alternate licensure program, you should contact the Professional Licensure Unit of the New Mexico Public Education Department (NMPED) to determine licensure requirements for your particular program of study. Licensure is based on state regulations which are subject to change.

Questions and concerns pertaining to renewal of a teaching license should be directed to the Professional Licensure Unit, New Mexico Public Education Department, 200 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87501.