"What do you mean it was almost 40 years ago?" Chances are you've heard at least one of your older relatives say this phrase after someone mentioned a movie that came out around the time.
As we're nearing 2020, we find that the '80s began almost a half-century ago. What happened to the time?
The effects of every decade tend to linger through the present. Chances are, you were digging through the closet with your mom or dad and found a pair of old Nike's or a Raggedy Ann doll.
As these items become vintage relics, perhaps it's time to think about the best parts of the '80s that are, in fact, becoming more popular today.
- Leg warmers! Although these leg accessories have been trending since about 2015, it's still nothing new to see them today. The purpose of leg warmers is pretty self-explanatory.
- Transformers! Although this hype train has been chugging its way past the station since 2007 with the Michael Bay movies, the 2018 "Bumblebee" movie has brought itself back to life (which, by the way, is officially rebooting the films). These mechanical lifeforms were first created as a line of toys in 1984, before being turned into a television show that ran from 1984 until 1987. Since then, there has been quite a large amount of media for them.
- Cassette tapes! The rising popularity of cassette tapes is in part due to Marvel's "Guardians of the Galaxy," in which the main character, Peter Quill (a.k.a. Star Lord), uses these ancient music holders for his own music, having been abducted by aliens in the late '80s. If you've been to Urban Outfitters, you'll have seen this renewed trend for yourself. They even sell portable cassette players in stores like Walmart.
- Vinyl Records! Along the same lines of cassette tapes lie vinyl records. I've seen these in stores since around 2012 or 2013, along with record players.
- Fanny packs! Ever needed an extra pocket for things? Would you rather avoid wearing a backpack? Take a fanny pack! These belt attachments were essential for your dad today while vacationing and everyone else forty years ago every day. How else will you store the '80s materials you need in the '80s?
- The music! Music never dies. Not the good music, anyway. 80's era music has always been totally rad. With the likes of Foreigner, AC/DC, Queen, Heart, Def Leppard and so much more, the music has and always will be firmly lodged in our hearts as an iconic part of 80's era trends.
I guarantee that you'll hear at least one of your friends doing an Ash Williams impression, because there will be no doubt that someone is going to shout "groovy" at you should they notice you sporting any looks or jamming out with your awesome rock music.
Although there aren't any Kandarian demons to chainsaw your way through, you'll still be slaying looks with all of these trends returning.
I'm okay with them coming back—let's just avoid those mullets, shall we?
No, I'm serious.